What is whole person healthcare?
- This article introduces the concept
- What’s in the name? How Whole Person Healthcare differs from other approaches
- The role of the ‘healer’
- The healing power of authority
- How this began with symbolic illnesses
- Imagination and its companions
- Healthcare and medical ‘guidelines’ from a whole person perspective
- Symbolic diseases and “Mindbody” co-emergence: A challenge for psychoneuroimmunology – Download article
- Medicine and story: A novel clinical panorama arising from a unitary mind/body approach to physical illness – Download article
- Naming what we do – Download article
Illness Explorer self-help pathway
The art of listening: discovering the ‘story’ behind the illness
A listening skills mini-course in 14 parts.
- A person speaks as a whole
- Gaining permission
- The Smorgasbord Question
- Don’t jump to conclusions!
- The emergence of meaning
- The role of imagination
- Self-disclosure and sharing experience
- Personal discipline, and who is there for whom?
- Making connections, seeing patterns
- Co-constructing the story
- The power of summary
- Educating about illness and story connections
- Timing and waiting
- Being there for the other
Training clinicians in whole-person centered healthcare – Download article
Frequently Asked Questions
- Tell me the basics of opening up story aspects in a medical setting
- I finally got the story—but what do I do now?
- ‘How focused should I be on the ‘real’ meaning of illness?’
- What illnesses and diseases? COMING SOON!
- Does this apply to cancer or life-threatening diseases? COMING SOON!
- See list of published books and articles
- Person-centred healthcare versus Patient-centred healthcare
- will be enlarged over time